Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Why Montag's Musings?

In the novel Fahrenheit 451, literary master Ray Bradbury crafts a dystopian future that is dangerously reminiscent of the world today, despite the fact that the novel was written in 1953. Jumping right into the narrative, Bradbury gives no explanation for the world he has created and commands his readers to pick up the shattered pieces of his story and piece it together to form the twisted and unforgiving world of Fahrenheit 451. In this world, the possession and reading of books has been banned, and those individuals who are caught owning such works face severe and macabre consequences. Guy Montag is a firefighter, one who enforces the strict laws of this moribund future and is tasked with burning all of the remaining pieces of literature. However, eventually Montag himself comes into possession of a book and begins to read, and thus he begins to muse and think about the conditions of the world around him.

Therefore, in light of Montag’s musings, I want this blog to be a venue for me to also place down my ideas and “musings” of life, whether that is through poetry, short stories, or another area of writing. I want to challenge the shallow and trivial status quo that has been placed on high schoolers. I do not want to simply accept failure or wrongdoing even if it is the most appealing route. In respect to Montag, I wish to capture the fiery passion of Bradbury in my own work and to think about the world and change it, hopefully inspiring transformation and a call to action through my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment