Friday, May 8, 2015

SWDD #1: Wicket

Sorry I have not been able to post as much as of late. Between APs and ACT, there has not been one free moment. I meant to post this on May 4th, in honor of National Star Wars Day, but the medley of AP tests, homework, and lack of sleep resulted in this delay.

This post kicks off a 7-day series called Star Wars Daily Devotion (abbreviated to SWDD) where I will take Star Wars characters and find a Bible verse that can be applied to their actions throughout the course of the films they appear in. I first started this during my time at Patrick Henry College (I would write these for my counselor, Stephen Pierce, who was an avid fan of Star Wars). I will be pulling characters from both the original and prequel trilogies. Today's character is Wicked Wystri Warrick (more commonly known as Wicket), an Ewok who helped Luke Skywalker and his comrades during the Battle of Endor.

Warwick Davis as Wicket
Image credit: Lucasfilms

Compared to the towering Wampa, bestial rancor, agile Nexu, and gargantuan Sarlacc, Wicket's physical size pales in comparison to his fellow creatures. However, he makes up for his lack of physical attributes with his courage, loyalty, and brains. Wicket did not let his physical size get in the way of helping his comrades or friends. Rather give up due to the lack of attributes he possessed, he instead used the skills that he did have to the best of his ability.  His age and size did not stop him in the pursuit of his goal. 

1 Timothy 4:12 states "Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity" (NIV). This sums up Wicket's actions perfectly. He set an example for others to follow, and did not let anyone look down on him. In the same way, as a Christian, I will not let my age get in the way of doing God's work. God can use me even now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment