Monday, September 7, 2015

SWDD #8 (Part 1): Kylo Ren

This past Friday (September 4th) was Force Friday, the NATIONAL unveiling of all Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens merchandise/action figures. Being the true fan that I was, I dragged my brother out at the crack of dawn (5:45) to camp out at the nearest Target/Toys R Us to help get my hands on two coveted items: Star Wars The Black Series 6 Inch Kylo Ren and Star Wars The Black Series 6 Inch First Order Stormtrooper. Initially I was worried, because I had heard stories of the night before about people trampling over each other to get the new merchandise. However, my plan, devotion, and lack of sleep worked better than I thought, I was able to secure the two gems without any sort of scuffle or skirmish (now all I want is the Star Wars The Black Series 6 Inch Captain Phasma)

The Black Series Kylo Ren and First Order Stormtrooper


Though I am an avid collector of Marvel Legends, Marvel SelectDC Collectibles, Transformers, and Star Wars The Black Series, I have never been able to secure "First Editions" of rare products, so to speak. So getting these figures is an accomplishment for me. Thus, to celebrate, I have decided to do a new Star Wars Daily Devotional based off of the primary baddie of Star Wars Episode VII, Kylo Ren. Now the movie does not come out till December 18th, and Lucasfilms has been pretty good in terms of keeping spoilers and details about Kylo under wraps. Most of the elements below have been taken from official sites, so the backstory here will be somewhat vague and general. Once the films comes out in December, I intend to watch it and release a more thorough part 2 for this character.

Kylo Ren, the fierce enforcer of the First Order
Image credit: Lucasfilms

Kylo Ren is a member of the Knights of Ren, a shadowy organization that was formed years after the Battle of Endor. The Knights of Ren existed were similar to the Sith in the sense that members of the Sith would receive the surname "Darth" (i.e. Darth Maul, Darth Tyranus, Darth Sidious, Darth Vader, etc.) and thus, members of the Knights of Ren would receive the surname of "Ren." Kylo Ren fashioned his own twisted lightsaber with a crossguard, and allied with Supreme Leader Snoke of the First Order, with the intent of crushing the Resistance (the remnants of the Rebel Alliance) and the last members of the Jedi. The First Order was founded to be the successor to the Empire (which was created by the Emperor and Darth Vader). Members of the First Order saw the works of the Empire not as failures, but rather as unfulfilled endeavors. Members of the First Order view themselves as the beneficiaries of what came before and wish to finish what the Empire started. For example, now the First Order has a superweapon that can threaten entire star systems, compared to the Empire's Death Star, which threatened planets.

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren in Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens
Image credit: Lucasfilms

Kylo Ren is the perfect physical manifestation of the First Order's mission statement. Ren's armor, mask, speech pattern, and distinct (yet still menacing) lightsaber are all meant to pay homage to Darth Vader. Ren sees Vader's work simply as unfulfilled and in every area, is trying to complete what Vader could not. Everything of and on Ren has been upgraded and magnified, when compared to Vader. Ren's crossguard saber funnels and emits a constant stream of static electricity, rather than solidifying into a solid, crimson blade. This quality is indicative of his ragged and aggressive fighting style. His mask, though distinguishable and noticeable, is shrouded by a dark hood, providing a dichotomy that gives light to his physically intimidating qualities, while also promising viewers that there are unseen dangers to him as well. In every way, Kylo Ren represents a "more complete" work than Darth Vader and an accumulation of both the Empire and the First Order's mission statements

Seeing Ren's fierce obsession with Darth Vader and his desire to be a "more complete" First Order enforcer reminded me of Philippians 1:6 which states "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (NIV). Now the "good work" that I want completed in me is not to be a Sith Lord or brutal enforcer, but rather to be Christ-like. I should have confidence and hope in the fact that Jesus has been working within me even before I was conceived in my mother's womb and till the day he returns, he will continue to mold me and transform me. In turn, I should strive daily in my actions to be like Christ. Being a sinner and one who is of lustful flesh, I will always fall short, but I should repent, and still strive to pursue and hold on to the truth that is Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 3:18 also confirms this, stating "And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" (NIV). So while Kylo Ren's "passions" are misplaced and are bent on evil, I can be (cautiously) inspired by his devotion, and strive to be passionate for Jesus and seek to imitate and contemplate Jesus' glory.

I hope you enjoyed this unexpected installment of the SWDD series. Check back in December for part 2 where I will expand more on Kylo Ren's character after seeing Episode VII.

No comments:

Post a Comment