Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Poem of Experience: Dark Liberation

Sorry that I have not posted in a while...this installment of the Poems of Innocence and Experience took longer to write than I initially thought. Alas, it is finished! I probably won't make another set of these for a few months...but I have an idea of where I want to go with the third outing.


Specks dance around circles of light
They are encased in a dance floor that points up to the sky
Flying up in the air, they are lifted by their partners 
Caught in a tango with the tempo on the outside

The circular border allows for free motions,
As the draft spins the specks, twirling them around 
Extending its hand in invitation as a new song begins
A slower movement keeps the actions on the ground

Yet while the specks dance, the light strains
It’s lone rebel, fighting against the night
Its rays shield the speck’s dance from becoming too intimate
Nothing can be seen, no victory is in sight

The horde of night beckons the light to fade
It attempts to wrap it with its dim arms, to hug it within its embrace
The light pushes back and holds tight but knows that it’s only a matter of time,
Before the battery dies and it succumbs to the night’s might

Yet others join in the war against black
Family members materialize from lumps of shade
Though shocked, they come ready to brawl 
Arsenals ready, they come with no first aid 

Cylindrical torches beat away bits like hammers
Double-A batteries streak across chests like packs of ammo,
They wield wax candles like daggers,
Cutting up the night, making it bleed shadows

These additional reinforcements illuminate pockets of the house
The striking of matches is a battle cry for the light
Aromas of wax soothe the fighting members,
But left behind is one individual not joining in the fight

I…stare empty at the chaos 
My lunar sockets contain white moons 
They gaze to search for what is lost 
Scanning throughout the foreign room

Yet though my eyes search, my mind sleeps
My legs lie unmoving, crossed comfortably 
I want to wrap around darkness like a cloak,
To break my Earthly duties and walk freely

Pencils lie dormant, needing to be lead
Empty sheets are ravenous for graphite, waiting to be filled
Books sleep on their spines waiting to be read
A sea of pearly trees have been killed 

So I leave behind my assignments as a sacrifice to the night
Thankful that because of its intrusion I can unwind
Oh how easy it is to submit to the overflow of my heart 
Rather than fight against the current do what is right 

I am drawn to what the darkness offers 
For night is young, while the morning is old
It promises release from my pain, for in the day, I suffer
I can’t be myself in the light, yet at night I can be bold 

Yet I know this is my nature speaking
For since the beginning my flesh has craved to hide
So while the night’s temporary release is appealing 
It is my identity as God’s child where I must abide

So I pick up my light and shine it throughout the house
Knowing daily I must illuminate my heart to reveal the evil within me
So while I want to hold tight to what is easy
When I surrender all, I am the most free 

So I stare once more at the specks,
None stir; their time has come to an end
So when the light returns, it will no longer make me mad 
Instead, it is an invitation for me to dance 

No comments:

Post a Comment