Sunday, April 5, 2015

Poem of Experience: Morning Musings

Since the beginning, there was only the word
Each sy-lla-ble transcribed from God’s mouth
As he spat upon the formless mass, each speck transforming into a new part of Earth,
Yet we took the forbidden fruit, and were cast out

We built buildings, hands sweating and grinding in unified rebellion
But God scattered us all over the Earth, so we could not sin again
Now, each culture and race became distinct and unique
Now, lay grounds for rounds war based off of different physiques

Gun shots symbolize the beginning of a race war
Now as I run, I feel that my feet are cut by blades
Green knives no longer tickle my feet like before
As I look, no comrades come to my aid

Alone, I ponder why I am so different,
I shrink back to uninviting covers, asking why I am so distant
From my old reality where everyone seemed the same
When all that used to separate me and my friends was a name

Why has my skin become that of a banana?
Yellow streaks flashing like my Jordan Retro 99s
Bright hues stab my side and illuminate me
Illuminating the judgement that people place about my outside

There is no sweet fleshy interior on the inside
And I can’t peel off this skin
It has now become a part of me,
As my yoke becomes heavy and I am the cause of other’s sin

My dialect has become numbers,
Adding up and multiplying into a symphony of formulas
I am no longer allowed to love English
Playing the saxophone no more, I am a violin-playing member of the orchestra

Strings of lies drip like soggy noodles
That I “eat every day”
As I pray, to my Buddhist god
Though I wish to show the truth, others don’t believe what I say

Now, there is no mention of other food
Greek Gyros, Vietnamese Pho, and Chicago Style Hot Dogs,
German Bratwurst, Polish Dumplings, and Indian Curry
All disappear amidst the rice, ramen, and legs of frogs

But one thing continues to remain the same
My kimchee has become thick, piquant peppers sting my mouth
Each herb burning scarlet Asian characters within my body
The spices showing prices that I must pay to be myself

I slump defeated upon my blanketed sanctuary
Thoughts vanish of me having a different story
Drowned out by the waves that crash against the coast of the Far East

New memories drown out the old days of glory

No comments:

Post a Comment