Saturday, April 4, 2015

Poem of Innocence: Evening Unity

In my H. British Literature class, we recently read William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. The most notable ones from Innocence were The Lamb and The Divine Image, while The Tyger and The Human Abstract stood out from Experience. Inspired, I wanted to create my own Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience. Here is the first of the Innocence portion.


Rays glide forth, delicately shedding light upon my silhouette
Jovial shadows that concealed the outline of my bed have now fled
The sun warmly grins, each tooth gripping the darkness,
As it takes a bite, revealing the light that arises out of sky’s carcass
He peels back the clouds to reveal a symphony of sights and sounds
As birds, roaring engines, and alarm clock unite, swarming around

Each ritual fits and covers around my mind
As I throw off blankets and skip outside
Munching my mouth on meals, I throw on my Jordan Retro 99’s
Their yellow streaks making me lightning fast, shocking my spine

This home street of mine has become an expansive valley,
Nostalgic gleams and makeshift palm trees remind me of the Cali
Each piece, whether pot holes, bus stops Jimmy Johns, or light poles
All unite as a whole and all play unique roles

Alone in the streets, yet together with my routines, I scream,
In the middle of the sidewalk, hoping my team will have heard me
They answer the call, fresh white pajama pants gleam
As comrades trip down steps, ready to seize the day and reign supreme

I run races, feet lightly kicking off shoes
Leaping side by side with my friends, not worrying of who will win or lose
My feet get tickled by soft green feathers
We all fall down and make angels in the pastures together

The night has returned, beckoning us kindly to go back inside
Our parents too shout (more forcefully) for us to take our strides,
And return home their voices being our guides
Though we want to fight, we depart ways and say we shall meet another night

Though in different households, we are all the same,
We like the same foods, play the same games, just have other names
I eat my rice and kimchee, letting the spices dance on my tongue
Craters being made where each herb was flung
I live in their skin, for our friendships are not based on outward color
But off our love for Father God, even if we come from different Mothers

No comments:

Post a Comment