Thursday, July 30, 2015

Poem of Innocence: Blackout

Back in April, I wrote two poems entitled Poem of Innocence: Evening Unity and Poem of Experience: Mornings Musings, based of of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience. This is the next poem based off of that motif.


Though my eyes search, they do not see
My irises are dancer’s feet, sliding gracefully
Tip-toeing on clouds as they prance across hidden abyss,
Waltzing to a medley played by an orchestra of darkness 

Light winds transform into strings section played by skeletons
As boned fingers slide across guitar necks, playing chords of elegance
Malevolence vibratos as the floorboards draw back their bows,
Creaking rhythmically with each step, launching a volley of arrows

Though I try to switch to a different setting 
Feeling the walls as I climb on creaky boards and comfy bedding,
The night makes me stub toes on bricks and LEGOs,
Turning walks across the kitchen into voyages of the unknown

Darkness covers me like shades, drawing me
Into the depths of the unknown, a bottomless sea
Where the waters wave goodbye to the sun, washing it ashore 
Drowning out life till it breathes no more, 

Yet I try to convince myself that I matured from my youth
That my fear of the dark has died away and that a new found courage has taken root,
But in my attempts to be bold, the dark responds with strife 
My strength is like hot butter, and night cuts confidence like a knife

Ousting out power, my courage has become liquidized 
I utter no battle hymns and only whimper lullabies
My real eyes don’t realize the real lie that the world before me is not different 
That if lights were working properly, I could see that in an instant

But I am told that I should look at the bright side of this experience, 
So alone, I meditate and contemplate in silence 
But there is no Jekyll in this Hyde
No, Night is simply a Jackal dressed in a pleasant hide

I want to show its true colors, so I strike flame, hoping the light will match the dark
Fruity aromas wafe through the air from just one spark 
As parts of wax drip like blood from candles,
Fire licks up red flesh, as it drives back shadows

Yet even so, beams of light can’t stop dark bars
As Darkness raps, its terrifying lyrics cutting skin, leaving scars 
So even when with a snap, the world changes,
Night’s haunting melody will be embedded in my mind for ages 

No comments:

Post a Comment